Premonitions and Spinal Meningitis: Exploring a Possible Association. What good is Premonitions if you cannot stop the event?

Premonitions and Spinal Meningitis: Exploring a Possible Association. 
What good is Premonitions if you cannot stop the event?

At 5:05 a.m., a loud, dull thud jolted me awake. A prickle of unease ran down my spine—a visceral alarm bell I couldn't ignore. Premonitions have taught me to listen to these whispers of the unknown.

Often, they come as distant voices: my nephew's angry shouts fading into the phone line, his mom confirming trouble brewing, my son's muffled cries after a stumble in the night followed by a string of curses. This time, the feeling was different. A heavier dread weighed on me.

Was it an accident nearby, a shadow of things to come outside my window? I scanned the darkness, seeking clues to this haunting premonition, but the night held its secrets tight. The thud echoed in my mind, a stark warning without context.

Anxiously, I checked on my special needs adult son, still asleep, the feeling of impending trouble refusing to leave me. With each passing moment, it grew stronger. When he emerged for his morning kiss, the dull thud reverberated in my head with a clarity that sent a chill down my spine. Now I knew – this was about him.

A familiar fear took hold, a flashback to a previous fall in the hallway. I heard a crash, louder this time, followed by a desperate cry: "HELP ME UP! I FELL!"

Panic surged through me as I found him trapped, upside-down in his overturned recliner, his neck perilously close to the edge of the bookcase. A surge of adrenaline-fueled a strength I didn't know I had as I wrestled him to safety. He was okay, shaken, but okay.

Waves of relief washed over me mingled with a familiar frustration. Ever since a near-death experience as a toddler, strange premonitions have woven their way through my life – flashes of the future that offer no clear path to change things.

What good is a warning if you can't prevent the danger? The question haunts me. Sometimes, like this morning, I wish for the sweetness of blissful ignorance. But denying these premonitions would be denying a part of myself, however strange or burdensome they seem.

Their purpose isn't prevention but the shift they create within me. Do they sharpen my attention, making me a more vigilant protector of those I love? Do they push me to savor each fragile moment a little more deeply? Is the actual value of a premonition found not in the control they offer but in how they transform how we experience the here and now?

I don't have all the answers.  Maybe there's no scientific link between the headaches I once endured and the premonitions I now live with. But as I move forward, each premonition becomes another enigmatic puzzle piece. A puzzle I might spend my lifetime trying to solve.

The Shadow of Meningitis

Spinal meningitis struck me at the tender age of two, casting a long shadow over my life. This brutal illness wasn't just a brush with death; it left a permanent mark on my body and irrevocably altered my perception of the world. The relentless headaches were a constant torment, their severity so extreme that they impeded the development of my frontal sinuses. Years later, a doctor explained the lingering impact of that childhood trauma – my frontal sinuses simply never formed.

This medical anomaly might explain another peculiarity in my life – the presence of premonitions. Ever since recovering from meningitis, I've experienced these strange precognitive flashes of the future. It's a double-edged sword: a glimpse into what might be, often tinged with unease, yet lacking the power to alter the course of events entirely.

Note: Spinal Meningitis

Spinal meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes (meninges) surrounding the brain and spinal cord. It is usually caused by bacterial or viral infections.

Early symptoms of meningitis often include fever, severe headache, stiff neck, nausea, and sensitivity to light.

Bacterial meningitis is a medical emergency, as it can be life-threatening. Prompt diagnosis and antibiotic treatment are crucial.

Headaches After Meningitis

Headaches are a common after-effect of meningitis, even after clearing the infection. These headaches can be persistent and debilitating, significantly affecting quality of life.

The exact cause of post-meningitis headaches is not fully understood. Theories include lingering inflammation, changes in pressure within the skull, and nerve damage.

Survival Rates

Thanks to medical treatment advances, meningitis's survival rates have dramatically improved.

For bacterial meningitis, the survival rate is generally around 90% with prompt treatment. However, factors like age, underlying health conditions, and the specific type of bacteria involved can affect the prognosis.

Viral meningitis is usually less severe, and most people recover completely. However, in my case, my mother told me the doctor gave her the grim news the night I was in the hospital with Spinal Meningitis, “Her chances of survival are less than 10%. Her spine will bow backward as she lays on her stomach, and, in the morning, we expect the worst.” My mother said she laid on my back the entire night and prayed. Later, she called it “a miracle you survived.”

Important Notes

If you think you might have meningitis, seek urgent medical attention. Early diagnosis and treatment significantly improve outcomes.

If you're recovering from meningitis and experiencing severe, persistent headaches, talk to your doctor. Treatments are available to help manage headaches and improve your quality of life.

Sources: Important Link for a current statewide meningococcal disease outbreak in Virginia by the Virginia Department of Health’s website.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) https://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/index.html

Virginia Department of Health meningitis outbreak information. https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/surveillance-and-investigation/meningococcal-disease-outbreak-response/

 

 

 


Comments